Critics can no longer deny SEO’s role in a successful business. The vast majority of web traffic is routed through Google and other search engines. Marketers prioritize search engine optimization in their campaigns. Most people’s interaction with a new company starts with an online search.
Search engines have changed the way we get information, so as a contractor, you have to ask yourself, “have you adapted to the times?” If you aren’t investing in contractor SEO, then you are more than likely losing business to your competition. But how do you get started with SEO? Of course, the best way is to work with a professional. However, there are some things you can do on your own and some concepts you should understand before you get started.
In the following post, Roofer’s Guild will discuss these concepts and share some tips on how you can get started with SEO.
The Basic Concepts of SEO for Contractors
The basic tenets of SEO are pretty simple. When users use search engines to find information about anything – in this case, we’re talking about contractors – their experience goes something like this:
- They type in specific phrases or keywords into a search engine to conduct their search
- The search engine processes those words and scans the web for websites that match them
- A list is pulled up for the user
- The user clicks on the most relevant or interesting search results
Pretty simple, right? Here’s where things get a bit tricky. Consider the following statistic: less than one percent of Google users click on the 2nd page of search results. That means that if for some reason, your website is showing up (ranking) low (outside of the top 5 results on a given search query) on searches, chances are people don’t even see your website.
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) comes into play for rankings. SEO is all about helping you rank in the top spot in search engine results pages. This way, your company gets more exposure, more clicks, more leads, and more chances to close customers.
That’s it! That’s the basic idea behind all SEO strategies. So now, here are some ways you can start improving your search engine rankings.
It Starts with Keywords
Some SEO tactics may be over your head, like web design, mobile site optimization, and other technical SEO stuff. However, there are some simple optimizations you can take care of relatively quickly. One of the most fundamental SEO tactics is keyword usage.
In the bulleted list above, we mentioned that the consumer begins a search using specific phrases and keywords. The idea is to use the keywords that most people would use to find a contractor in your website’s written content. Topical keywords make it easier for search engines to match your site with relevant searches made by consumers looking for contractors. But how do you know which keywords to use?
Here is an excellent list of keyword research tools that you can use to find out which keywords people are using most to look for the services you offer as a contractor. The great thing about these tools is that some of them are free. They will give you a good list of keywords to use for your website. Once you have a good list, here are some tips for utilizing it in your written content:
- Avoid Keyword Stuffing: Don’t simply cram the keywords into your content. Google will penalize you for keyword stuffing. Keyword stuffing is overusing keywords to rank better, but it will hurt your rankings.
- Use Keywords Naturally: Instead of stuffing keywords into your written content, insert them naturally. Natural usage may be a bit difficult with some keywords, but the effort will be worth it.
- Don’t Ignore Lesser Used Keywords: Some keywords are highly competitive (many companies are trying to rank for the exact keywords), so it may be beneficial to use the keywords on your list that are used less frequently.
Google and other search engines don’t just rely on keywords to help them decide which websites to display. Another major factor is inbound links. Inbound links are links on other websites that lead to yours. When another website links to your website, search engines take this as something of a vote of confidence for your site. In short, inbound links are suitable for construction SEO. But how do you get these links? Here are some tips:
- Reach Out: You can begin getting more external links by reaching out to your suppliers, colleagues, fellow contractors, and even your local chamber of commerce and asking them to include a link for your site on theirs.
- Industry Directories: List your site on contractor and construction industry directories. These could be local business directory sites or national ones.
- Comment: Stay up on high-profile contractor blogs and comment thoughtfully when you can. Ask the webmaster if you can include a link to your site in your comment.
Online reviews are also a great way to bolster SEO for contractors and roofers. They provide even more external link opportunities, but they are crucial for local ranking. Local ranking and local SEO determine how high your website is displayed on searches with local intent such as “contractors near me.” “contractors in my area” or specific geographic searches like “contractors in Tampa, Florida.”
Since most contractor businesses are local businesses, reviews are critical to SEO. You have to have a good amount of reviews to rank. More important than quantity, though, is quality. You want your aggregate star rating to be between 4.3 and 4.8 stars. But how do you get more reviews? Here are some tips:
- Be Present: Register your company on review websites like Yelp, Angie’s List, Houzz, HomeAdvisor, Google My Business, and others.
- Ask for Them: After a job well done, don’t be afraid to ask your customers to leave a review of your company. One study found that most consumers will leave a review if you ask them to.
- Use an App or Tool: Several software companies offer reputation management tools that deliver automated review requests via text and email, and include a direct link to the review screen.
SEO Services for Contractors
Starting with SEO tips for contractors covered today will put you on the right path to success. If you implement these tips, you will more than likely see an increase in your search rankings. However, this is only the beginning. To utilize SEO to its fullest potential, you have to turn to the pros.
Here at Roofer’s Guild, we are dedicated to helping contractors like yourself get the most from digital marketing and SEO. We can help you get more customers through SEO, so call us today. Yes, we deal with roofing companies specifically, but many roofers are also in the construction niche, and all of them are contractors. So get in touch with Roofer’s Guild and start succeeding online.